Final Thoughts

2 Months, 12,357 miles, 20 sets of out of town friends visited, 22 places stayed, 32 states, 41 books listened to while driving.... This trip was amazing, awesome, tiring, exciting, difficult at times, but an experience we'll never forget.  By God's grace we had ZERO accidents.  By God's grace no one got sick.  Our family had ups and downs (which were usually the result of too much tourist activity at one time for Joey), but overwhelmingly the time spent with friends, family, and visiting amazing sites was an experience that is beyond words.

Some Favorites:

Jeremiah: 
Favorite activity: Red Sox game
Favorite food: Steak and Shake

Bekah:
Favorite activity: Visiting Hamilton, the quilt town
Favorite Food:  Smorgasbord

Micah:
Favorite Activity: Gateway Arch, Empire State Building
Favorite Food: Empanadas in D.C.

Joey: 
Favorite Activities: Sea Glass Carousel, Camel Ride, Gateway Arch, Empire State Building
Favorite Food: Schwarmas (Go Austin!) 

The truth is, I could call almost any of the states that we visited home.  My heart aches a bit, or I should say a ton, for space, both inside and outside my home. I want to be able to host others, as our friends hosted us.  I want to be able to just spread out a bit in our home, and not feel like being on time somewhere is hinged on whether or not we set the bathroom usage order correctly. I want weather, and seasons, and rain, oh, RAIN, it's amazing!  But more than that, I want to be content with where God has our family. Since high school I have had periods of wanting to leave California, but God has always clearly said no.  I don't know if a time will come for our family to move, but I know He hasn't made it clear that moving is right for us yet.  For now, I am so thankful we could visit so many friends in the beautiful places God has put them.  A dear friend reminded me that when I long for pretty places and new adventures, a new heaven and a new earth are coming....

So, our adventure is over for now.  School is starting.  Life moves on.  But, the memories we made this summer as a family, the friends and family we were able to connect with, will truly be in our hearts forever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2: Flagstaff to Santa Fe, New Mexico

Day 32: Lower Manhattan, Empire State Building

Day 5: Springfield, Illinois to Roscoe, Illinois